What is a District Post Seat?
Each District delineated the same as Chatham County Commissioner Districts has eight members from the Democratic Party of Chatham County elected by that District's members to represent them on the Chatham County Democratic Committee.
Membership is limited to 64 Post Seats that make up the voting body of the Chatham County Democratic Committee.
Any Democratic Party of Chatham County member may serve as a candidate for a Post Seat or elector.
Serving as a Post Seat for your District is a bit more than something in name only or volunteering when called.
Elected to a Post Seats empowers you to:
- Vote on important business administered at the monthly Business Meetings to help guide and lead the Committee to help advance our Democratic Principles,
- Vote in Committee elections, and
- Serve the Committee in a leadership position, including but not limited to being a member of the Executive Committee.
What are you committing to?
- To uphold and advance the Democratic Principles of the State of Georgia.
- To uphold and advance the Duties of the Chatham County Democratic Committee.
- Actively engage with the Committee and its meetings, functions, or activities.
- Initiate volunteer opportunities or volunteer as such become available.
What are the time commitments?
- Attending monthly membership meetings
- Participating in a sub-committee, Caucus, or cause (encouraged but not required)
- Engaging with members of your District to discuss local issues, make recommendations, and help to identify, introduce, and recruit other Democrats to the Committee
- Assist in facilitating canvassing, phone banking, event support, etc., as needed.
What support do I get?
- The Committee will provide an initial orientation to the Committee and its structure.
- The Committee, by way of its officers, District Captains, Campaigns, and others, will help to provide support and instruction as required.
- In short, you are not on your own but an important part in helping to support our Democratic Principles in Chatham County and beyond.
- Sunday, July 10: Electorates submit a Democratic Party of Chatham County Annual Membership Declaration.
- Sunday, July 10: Nomination or self-nomination for a District Post Seat. Send nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates accepting nominations must submit an Affidavit to the Chatham County Democratic Committee.
- Tuesday, July 12 – Thursday, July 14: District Caucus for Post Seat election.
- All declared and verified, the Democratic Party of Chatham County members may participate as electors or candidates.
- The election is for all 64 District post seat holders (8 per District).
- The Committee shall have eight districts coinciding with Chatham County Commission Districts. Each District will elect up to eight members. Each member shall be elected to a post (1 through 8), and each designated post will be designated a Gubernatorial or Presidential post.
Election Dates & Times
- Caucusing by District will be located at 714 Martin Luther King., Jr., Blvd, Savannah, Georgia. Vote by proxy is not available.
Tuesday, July 12 at 6 p.m.
- 7th Party District Caucus / Caucus Chair Leslie Sheehan (email@example.com)
- 8th Party District Caucus / Caucus Chair Ervenia Bowers (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Wednesday, July 13 at 6 p.m.
- 1st Party District Caucus / Caucus Chair TBA (Contact Jay Jones email@example.com)
- 4th Party District Caucus / Caucus Chair TBA (Contact Jay Jones firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thursday, July 14 at 6 p.m.
- 2nd Party District Caucus / Caucus Chair Jamello Merrell (email@example.com)
- 3rd Party District Caucus / Caucus Chair Patrick Kelsey (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 6th Party District Caucus / Caucus Chair Deidre Grim (email@example.com)
Democratic Party of Chatham County: All registered voters in Chatham County completing the shall, upon verification, be recognized as a member of the Democratic Party of Chatham County. Members serve as the electorate for voting in select Committee elections. Any member of the Democratic Party of Chatham County is eligible to be elected to the Chatham County Democratic Committee.
Chatham County Democratic Committee: All members of the Democratic Party of Chatham County elected by the Democratic Party of Chatham County to one of the District Post Seats shall be recognized as a member of the Committee.